By Khylen Steward

In case this is our first time meeting, allow me to just make it clear that I love film with a fervor comparable only to that of Oprah’s intense love for bread. Maybe more.

I had the pleasure of covering Sundance in January and am ecstatic to be back to cover the Atlanta Film Festival (running April 1-10, 2016) for V-103 again this year. The ATLFF is no joke, in case you missed it. The festival has always debuted and played some gems over the years, but it is obvious that this is the year it has decided to go harder in case you thought this was a game.

While I invite you to make your own schedule and find films that you’re interested in seeing, to get you started, here is a preview of what I think you may want to check out at this year’s festival:

(Photo Credit: Matt Ornstein)

(Photo Credit: Matt Ornstein)

Accidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race & America

Saturday April 2, 2016 2:15pm – 3:30pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

An accomplished musician befriends members of the Ku Klux Klan. This sounds like a potentially fascinating disaster.

(Photo courtesy of Sundance)

(Photo courtesy of Sundance)

How To Tell You’re A Douchebag

Saturday April 2, 2016 4:30pm – 6:00pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

I’m very excited to see this one hit Atlanta! I saw it at Sundance and it was definitely one of my favorites. Read more about this film here.

Romeo Is Bleeding

Saturday April 2, 2016 4:15pm – 6:00pm
Hill Auditorium 1280 Peachtree St NE Atlanta, GA 30309

An extremely timely story about Richmond, California native Donté Clark, who uses poetry and theater to create a positive platform and inspire neighborhood youth to break away from violence.

(Photo Credit: HBO Films)

(Photo Credit: HBO Films)

Confirmation

Sunday April 3, 2016 6:00pm – 7:15pm
Rialto Center for the Arts 80 Forsyth St NW, Atlanta, GA 30303

Kerry Washington and Wendell Pierce star in this Rick Famuyiwa (Dope, The Wood) directed HBO film about the infamous, pivotal Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas hearings. If the attachment of those three big Hollywood names aren’t enough to spark your interest, consider this film an important history lesson that you need to have.

You can RSVP to see this film for free by clicking here. Please arrive early to secure a seat!

SOUND + VISION

Thursday April 7, 2016 7:00pm – 12:00am
Ponce City Market 675 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30308

It’s a party! Featuring the incomparable Big Freedia, experimental films and art installations, this is sure to be a good, FREE, time!

(Photo Credit: Oscilloscope)

(Photo Credit: Oscilloscope)

The Fits

Thursday April 7, 2016 9:15pm – 10:27pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

This was another one of my favorites that debuted at Sundance! The directing and camera movement are an absolute joy to watch for sure, but I guarantee when you walk away, you’ll find that you’ve fallen in love with the film’s star, Royalty Hightower.

(Photo Credit: Stella Meghie )

(Photo Credit: Stella Meghie )

Jean of the Joneses

Saturday April 9, 2016 5:15pm – 6:37pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

Starring a wonderful cast, including the hilarious Sherri ShepherdJean of the Joneses revolves around the Jones family’s journey of dealing with the death of its matriarch.

(Photo by Sean McElwee)

(Photo by Sean McElwee)

Morris From America

Saturday April 9, 2016 7:30pm – 9:01pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

Craig Robinson gives an outstanding performance in Morris From America. This film has been a big hit with audiences and will no doubt be a topic of discussion when it is widely distributed.

(Photo Credit: Sony Pictures Classics)

(Photo Credit: Sony Pictures Classics)

Miles Ahead

Sunday April 10, 2016 2:45pm – 3:45pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

Please keep in mind that this Don Cheadle directed film is not a biopic, but it is definitely one that you should catch. Read more about this film here.

Presenting Princess Shaw

Sunday April 10, 2016 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Plaza Theatre (Main) 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

Equipped with a fascinating lead character and what seems to be an engaging, heartwarming plot, Presenting Princess Shaw looks like a must-see for several reasons:

That’s all I have for now! As I said, there is a ton of stuff to get into at the Atlanta Film Festival, so be sure to do your own research to find something that I didn’t mention. Feel free to let me know how you like the festival, fam!

To talk more film and/or to follow my coverage of ATLFF, you can follow + tweet me on the Twitter RIGHT CHEA

– Khylen Steward, CBS Local