DA Office To Reexamine Malcom X's Murder Convictions

The Netfilx film has sparked controversy and to reopen investigation

February 11, 2020
Malcom X

Wikipedia / Creative Commons

Categories: 

The power of storytelling has been proven yet again in chilling Netflix documentary about Malcolm X. 

The ABA Journal reported a preliminary review of the murder convictions is currently underway to determine if they need to re-launch an investigation.  The streaming service released a six-part documentary, Who Killed Malcolm X? which has the Internet buzzing about the who really killed the Civil Rights icon more than 50 years after his death.

 

 

“District Attorney  Vance has met with representatives from the  Innocence Project and associated counsel regarding this matter,” director of communications Danny Frost told PIX 11 in a statement. “He has determined that the district attorney’s office will begin a preliminary review of the matter, which will inform the office regarding what further investigative steps may be undertaken.”

The documentary “Who Killed Malcolm X?” argues that two of the men convicted in the killing could not have been present. It points instead to four Nation of Islam members from Newark, N.J., one of whom appeared in an ad for now-Sen. Cory Booker’s (D-N.J.) mayoral campaign, The New York Times reported.

"I knew him well," Booker says in the documentary of William Bradley, who has since changed his name to Almustafa Shabazz. Booker adds that he was unaware that Shabazz, who died in 2018, was named as an accomplice in an affidavit by Talmadge Hayer, later Mujahid Abdul Halim, who admitted to his part in the killing. 

The D.A.’s preliminary review “will inform the office regarding what further investigative steps may be undertaken,” an official for Vance’s office told the Times last week. The team conducting it will include prosecutor Peter Casolaro, who played a major role in the exoneration of the five men wrongly convicted and imprisoned in connection with the rape and assault of a jogger in central Park in 1989.

One of the men arrested in connection with the killing, Muhammad Abdul Aziz, then named Norman 3X Butler, was paroled in 1985 and continues to deny participating in the killing. He says that security would have blocked his entry to the Audubon Ballroom where the civil rights leader was killed, and that he had recently been the victim of a police beating that would have left him unable to either pull off the assassination or flee the scene.

In the documentary, Aziz maintains his innocence, but is skeptical his name will be cleared.

“I just don’t believe in these people,” he says. “I got 20 years of my life to show that I shouldn’t believe in them.”

 

Reactions on Social Media